September 23, 2018

Crazy Rich Asian: What I've thought/learnt

Pre- warning ahead:
THis is going to be another word post. 

I have spent so much time watching all the news/video clips about Crazy Rich Asian (CRA). I guess It just connect all of us at the some points or most of the point! 

and I have a new found perspective after watching some CRA interviews, esp the 30 mins video. 




I have no idea why am I so mad love at this movie! I guess initially it was because it brought Singapore and Malaysia and Asia so beautifully in Hollywood way, into the attention of Hollywood like Marvel hero's movie-kind of attention. 

and I am so so proud that the main character in the movie as well as the character that brought twist to the plot were Malaysian! Yas! I am so happy when I found out that Henry is a Malaysian, so Michelle, was indigenous Malaysian! A famous star from Ipoh, Malaysia. 

They don't particularly highlight that part, but we all know that. and there is something that make us connect to the movie....Don't you? 

Then as I continue to dwell into the movie. (I literally dwell ..almost everything about CRA), stalking all the stars through Instagram. Knowing their next direction and so on. In short, I spent on average 20 mins per day to just watch anything about CRA). It was too empowering, aspiring, overwhelming. I feel the need to express it somewhere. 

What I've learnt

1. Never settle for something less than what you wanted. 

Being a Malaysian/CHinese, we were taught to stick to reality. Our life doesn't live like fairy tales...live happily ever after. Well, no body deny of that, and it's true. However, it brought to me that we can actually look deeper into it. 

Yea, correct. Reality is cruel sometime, accept it and learn how to handle it. Eventually, with perpetual consistent and arduous effort  and time, we will at least get something if we didn't get what we expected. 

Throughout of my life, I was living with full of enthusiasm, (I believe I was, not shame to admit that), but you know after started working, worrying about how to earning stable bread and butter, regular daily routine just worn me out a little, every day is the same routine for me. And I work hard to save money, until at some point, sometimes, I feel just like giving up , not wanting save but splurging on something I like. 


Reflecting on all my journey working like a cow with constant routine, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my work, I just don't like to living the same routine day in and day out. but at one time, I do enjoy staying in my comfort zone. ..... a bit of irony, but as a human, young working adult, you know what I mean ,don't you? )

There is also another of example of Never Settle for the less. Sometimes, I would just give in for something I want to make peace with people. I mean, I am okay with it, although it doesn't go as what I thought, but I've seen (through videos) how the director of CRA live up with perserverance in many small details in making the movie, it inspires me. 

I learnt that I should balanced between working life, and indulge in my lazy pleasure (shopping, blogging, doing something vain, eating). I mean we all deserve it after working so hard,right? 

I dare to say this because sometimes when I keep myself away from all my pleasure indulgence, I suddenly lost the motivation to work hard. LITERALLY. Am I working so hard just to save money? 
That's why I feel like it's very important to live with enthusiasm with the right motivation towards the right direction. 

As I mention, I use to live with enthusiasm , go with what comes along my way, but at the end of the day, it does show result, but not towards the right direction. I am talking about....MONEY. Henry Golding in the movie and in the real life is just someone with so much charm, and enthusiasm! Simply google or youtube any video of him, and you will understand! 

He also said that we need to change our mindset to work things out. For instance, he came back to Malaysia, and wanted to start in broadcasting industry, with zero experience or skills, however, he changes his mind , and start introducing himself with lines like this..." I am Henry Golding...I am a presenter, a host.." Eventually, when people notice you and your identity, they tend to link you to the position you want from the way you brought yourself, and the way you introduce yourself, and the feeling you exude to them. 





2. Master a skill, make it your own.

Being a Malaysia, have you ever heard of saying like this.. " We Malaysians look like we know everything, but when dwell into it, it seems like we are not really good at it. We macam know here a bit, then know there a bit, in the end Macam Yes"

But here it is. I am so proud of Malaysia ever since 509, in the year of 2018. and fall in love with my own identity, myself because there are actually many mega talented Malaysians every where! In CRA, there is a controversy that Henry Golding wasn't just the right person to play Nick Young , because he isn't the true Asian. (He is half-British as well)

Here's how he explains it.

“Being sort of half British, I have always struggled with my identity and the one thing that I learnt very young was to own my identity.” Henry Golding

Bam! Why so much of wisdom ar? 

Sometimes, I tend to blame it the environment, like I am not lucky enough to got the change to be in the position I want, which is true. But I have learnt that, ....develop a very serious, consistent, long term motivation, a motivation huge enough to keep  you alert, and aware that you don't have to be in a better place to own it. 

For example,  
I used to wanting to live and work in Singapore very very much! (I still do. ) Not because of the triple increase in income, but also the environment of people speaking English there, and the way how they eat healthily in general, because of their gov policy, less salt , less sugar.....erm.....I think if you fall in love with something, you will just love whatever it has offered. (Positive framing it is)

and now, Henry Golding is living in Singapore....How i wish that I actually staying in Singapore, then one day I can actually bump into him somewhere in a corner in Singapore! 

But to think in a deeper lever, Singapore was, at one point, sharing the same standard as with Malaysia, in everything! Economic, Law, Policy....development and stuff.

So it is the people who make the change. Of course there are so many things I can blame if I want to. But recently, I have learnt that we can actually be the key changer. Just like how the cast of CRA be the first wave of whitewashing movement. and the great thing is....there would be sequel about CRA!
Anyway, at this point of time, I just wish to watch all the movie with Henry Golding's presence. (A SIMPLE FAVOUR, Last Christmas)


Testing testing



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! <3 <3
I really motivated when I saw people do read and make effort to comment everytime! TQ!